Sunday, February 5, 2017

Dancing with the Sun King


Cyrus's head control has improved almost over night! And then it just kept improving. It is exciting to see such improvement, but it is also shocking at how much of an impact this new ability has on the daily routine. This is simply due to the fact that he is so much easier to hold and pick up.

He doesn't arch his head back nearly as often or nearly as hard. Before when I had to pick him up by the arms, I had to have my fingers arched toward his head supporting it. This was killing my wrists - many times a week they would start to ache and I would have to baby it for days to recover, which is difficult when feedings and bath still have to happen. But now, I've had two weeks with barely a twinge because Cyrus has been doing most of the head holding himself.

His occupational therapist has been immensely pleased at his progress two weeks in a row! The first time, it was like "Where did this come from?" and the second week, "Wow! He's gotten significantly better still just in the last week."

Here are two videos so you can check it out yourself:

Playing with mom! 

Look at this head stability!! 

So Cyrus and I have been dancing a lot! Because he loves the swirling and because it's not so hard on my wrists anymore so I can actually last for a few songs in a row! Though I have realized, much to my own amusement, that dancing now takes more coordination. I try to let him do as much head balancing work as I can, which does mean I have to allow him some head space to wobble a bit, but I also have to be ready to dodge to the side whenever his head starts to drop forward so his forehead doesn't slam straight into my teeth! And I have to be poised to catch his head if he does arch it back unexpectedly. Because if he does it too fast he can throw off my balance. And we do not want to tumble over!

But we'll keep practicing until we master the tango or something!

And in the meantime, we hope that everyone appreciates how awesome it is to simply be able to hold up your own head! Haha!

Hanging out with cousin Griffin who already has awesome head control! 


3 comments:

  1. Wow! Those videos look great! Awesome progress! The "superman" shirt must have helped. We'll still leave some credit for the therapists, mom, and DAD too though. And of course Cyrus for all of his hard work too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyrus is definitely doing a lot of work!! And Kyle and I both play "no hands" type games with him. The first time I told the therapist that he sat up on his own for a whole three seconds (thinking this wasn't that big a deal), she was amazed and insisted I show her. When we got a whole second and a half in early January at the session itself, she was ecstatic and told me to keep playing "no hands". Which is fun! Kinda reminds me of how I thought I could learn to ride a bike by balancing in place. I got up to about twenty seconds pretty consistently. Mom thought I was crazy. I was just a scaredy cat! Haha!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Those videos look great! Awesome progress! The "superman" shirt must have helped. We'll still leave some credit for the therapists, mom, and DAD too though. And of course Cyrus for all of his hard work too!
    hire hula dancers

    ReplyDelete