Saturday, July 1, 2023

The Gifts of Cyrus Brown

Cyrus Lee Brown ~~~ February 15, 2015 - June 30, 2023
 
Cyrus Lee Brown arrived on February 15th, 2015. I know that not all mothers experience that instant connection with their newborn child, but I did. The second Cyrus uttered his first cries, my heart was his. I had never been so excited or grateful to meet anyone in my life! We chose the name Cyrus because it means Sun, as in Sunlight. We knew Cyrus would be a source of light in our lives, and while everything else about Cyrus was completely different than we expected or anticipated, that always remained true.

Cyrus loved big inputs: being thrown up in the air, spinning in circles, swinging as high as possible in tire and blanket swings, someone drumming on his chest. These actions would earn the biggest smiles. He loved circle time, particularly groups of children singing simple songs in chorus. His favorite song was “Mr. Sun,” which always felt perfect to me. He responded best to the color yellow, and all the big mack buttons in his pre-preschool changed to that color to accommodate him. He positively hated his wheelchair most of the time and preferred to be on the floor where he could roll around to go where he wanted. The stander was better than the wheelchair as long as he wasn’t there too long. 

Some of his best, most joyful times were right after he had been horribly sick. He would grin and laugh all day long for no discernible reason at all, like he had found the joy in just feeling okay again. That was sometimes all it took. 

 
All of that feels like precious little to write about the son I’ve raised and loved for more than eight years. But I’m truly not confident I remotely understand what Cyrus’s day to day life felt like to him. It was hard to know what he was thinking or feeling. Even his facial expressions were often subtle and would disappear in a flash. On really good days, he never stopped vocalizing and smiling. Sometimes, he would laugh out of nowhere, but if we tried to join in on the fun, his joy would often vanish. On really bad days, he would cry or scream inconsolably, and I couldn’t always figure out why. All I could do was hold him.

But while I may not know what life was like for him, I do know how he impacted me.

Cyrus was a rainbow baby after three miscarriages. He gave me hope again.

He made me realize all the abilities that I took for granted. That our focus should always be on what we can do, rather than on all the things that were wrong or outside of our control.

He made me see the miracles in small things - like being able to roll over or laugh. He made me pay attention to the smallest of details, lest I miss a fleeting expression on his face. His reactions and responses were often incredibly subtle, but I learned to recognize the face he made when he wanted a pacifier, and the sound he made when he wanted out of his chair. I learned to tell the difference between the grimace his therapists often mistook for a smile and an actual smile. I learned to connect with him as another human being without the words I almost always rely on.

Cyrus modeled resilience. He put up with a lot - from seizures, to taking meds, to breathing treatments, and wearing bipap 22 hours a day. He usually didn’t have a choice. I remember one afternoon, a seven-month-old Griffin came crawling up to an almost two-year-old Cyrus, who was sprawled out on the floor. Griffin was soon climbing all over Cyrus, grabbing his hands and face. Cyrus rolled over and looked right at Griffin and let out the biggest resigned sigh. In that moment, he seemed like the older child of the two of them, not just in chronological time, but in his understanding of the world around him. Cyrus was so completely over it, but somehow understood that Griffin didn’t understand, and he just knew he’d get through it. (He didn’t have to for long. Mom came to his rescue). 

Cyrus taught me, a girl who was raised to believe she always had to be completely self-sufficient and independent, how to ask for help, and maybe more importantly, how to accept that help with grace and gratitude instead of shame.

In caring for Cyrus, I’ve learned more about seizures and epilepsy than I ever knew there was to know, picked up random nursing skills that I have no idea if I will ever use again, and have become pretty adept at navigating the travesty that is our medical system.

In watching Cyrus with his peers in class, I learned that everyone has the capacity for friendship and love. One of my clearest memories is of Hannah and Cyrus in pre-preschool together with Nicole as their teacher. Hannah had been given a switch that said “Hi Cyrus!” and Cyrus had been given one that said “Hi Hannah!” Then these two went wild slamming that button back and forth, laughing and smiling the whole time. 

 
Cyrus has had a profound impact on Eliana, whom we always referred to as Cyrus’s “big” little sister. When she first came home from the hospital, she was his favorite person. He would always roll towards her and try to touch her. We were very worried about having to protect her from his very wobbly head. By four months of age, we realized we had it backwards. We had to protect him from her pulling out his feeding tube or grabbing his face. She spent the first four years of her life very much involved in his care. 

At two years old, Eliana could “hear” seizures just as well as mom and dad. She would come running into the bathroom or the kitchen to tell us. She also learned when he needed suctioning or when his feeding was over. She was so sweet with him - whenever he was sick she would lend him her teddy bear, which was an item she wouldn’t let anyone else touch. If he was sitting in his beanbag chair, she would climb up and perch next to him or beside him and start showing him how to play or draw. And one evening, when I confessed to feeling sad that Cyrus was gone, she told me not to worry - that we would still be able to see Cyrus in our dreams.

 
And though Sorin will not directly remember his brother, Cyrus will have a lasting impact on him as well because when it felt like we were being priced out of the area, Cyrus’s needs made it crucially important to figure out how to stay to keep his amazing medical and educational services. At two years old, Cyrus qualified for in-home support services through California’s IHSS program, which paid Kyle to take care of Cyrus. This program helped us make just enough to make it possible for us to buy a house in the same community where I teach, meaning we are going to continue to stay here. Cyrus essentially gave us a home and a community that Sorin and Eliana will continue to grow up in even now that he is gone.

Again and again, Cyrus brought so many people into our lives and helped us connect with people already in our lives in novel ways. He forced us to build the most solid of support networks all around ourselves that I think will be here for the rest of our lives. 

 

Cyrus taught us how fragile life is. And yet, still worth it. Always worth it.

This child has been surrounded by love, constantly grew our own capacity to love others, and brought even more love to us that will stay with us always. To me, that is his legacy. 


The sincerest and humblest of thank you’s:

• To the two women who adopted and babysat me during each of my maternity leaves who have become part of my family.
• To everyone who helped us pay for medical bills and medication when Cyrus was a baby before we got him on Medi-Cal.
• For every gifted blanket, toy, and dinner for I don’t know how many hospitalizations.
• For letting me break down and cry in your office, library, or classroom.
• For inclusive playdates and repeated invitations no matter how many times we flaked.
• For covering my classes on last minute notice.
• To my students and their families who survived my unpredictable, and sometimes extended, absences with patience and understanding.
• For everyone who partook in hours long phone conversations with Kyle and/or myself to keep us sane and connected.
• To all the special needs and ADSL families we’ve never met in person who offered ears, understanding, shared resources and strategies.
• To all the friends (both online and in person) who listened to my stories over and over and never flinched away because what I was sharing was hard.
• To all the friends (both online and in person) who always kept sharing their own lives with us no matter what we personally were struggling with.
• Thank you to every nurse, therapist, social worker, case manager, teacher, aide, doctor, bus driver, pharmacist, spiritual guide, and caregiver that took part in Cyrus’s care and education.
• To everyone who supported us along the way.

Thank you for being a part of Cyrus’s story in ways both big and small. We could not have done it without all of you.

Ways you can continue to support us or honor Cyrus:
• Contribute to Cyrus's GoFundMe to cover end of life costs.
• Donate to ADSL Research or Rare Disease Advocacy/Research
• Remember to say hello to the special needs children and people you encounter in your life. Don’t look away. See them. Talk to them. They are beautiful and precious. And they are people.
• When you see someone you care about in your life struggling, act. When someone’s world has fallen apart they can’t always figure out what they need or where they could use help. Tell them what you can do for them (make/order meals, make shopping trips for them, help around the house, lend an ear or shoulder, babysit children, make phone calls or do research, give/lend money, etc.), then let them decide if that would be helpful to them or not.


 

 

28 comments:

  1. Kari , this is a wonderful description of Cyrus' life and the love ❤️ your family got to experience with him. You are one of the strongest people I know and I am honored to be included in your lives. Cyrus will always be in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was so cute and had a beautiful smile. You gave him the best life and he gave so many smiles. And these lessons will last for all our lives, so he will live on in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari and family: I am utterly humbled by Cyrus and his life. What an amazing, living example of care, love, patience compassion and optimism he and you have all shown us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris for your kind words. I hope you and yours are well.

      Delete
  4. I was blessed to only know Cyrus for a few months in my class, where he gave me a great gift, with those big sparkling Blues eyes and a smile as I talked and he listened, Cyrus’s smile melted my heart ❤️ a memory I will cherish, thank you Cyrus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for teaching Cyrus. We are forever grateful.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this touching beautiful amazing life. Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your well wishes. <3

      Delete
  6. I had the honor to drive Cyrus to school for the last three years I will miss him dearly, what a beautiful child. My deepest condolences to Cyrus parents, may Jehovah God give them peace and tranquility in these dificult times. Efrain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Efrain!! I'm so happy to see you found your way here!! You were one of the people on my list to try and figure out how to contact. If you email me (kpaynebrown@gmail.com) your address I would love to send you a Cyrus card.

      Delete
  7. I am honored to have been a part of Cyrus’ life the last school year. I’m sending so much love to his family <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cyrus. Thank you for the beautiful smiles you gave me when “we danced” this past year.
    You are and all my students are the reason of my missionary life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very sorry to hear about Cyrus’ passing, even though we have never met I truly enjoyed supporting and learning together in the ADSL group. Thank you for always sharing with us. You and your beautiful family will always be in my thoughts and prayers. Much love Sandy, Sydney and Carson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ms. Brown, I am so sorry to hear of Cyrus’ passing. Your words about being Cyrus’ mom and the love and joy he brought to your family are so powerful and inspiring. Truly. I hope the memory of your son, his resilience, and the bond you all created with him bring you comfort at this difficult time. 💛

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms. Brown, you were my teacher when you were pregnant with Cyrus. I never could have imagined the impact and importance of the baby growing inside you. What a beautiful life you all created together. I am so sorry for your loss. I am thinking of him today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kari, you and your beautiful family are truly the perfect example of pure love. Thank you for sharing Cyrus with us. I am saddened I never got to meet him in person but I feel like I truly knew him through the stories and pictures you have always shared. You are such an inspiration to our special needs families. The strength that you all have exhibited is admirable. I am sending all of you endless prayers and love. May you feel his presence with you always and may he send you a sign that he is flying free. Much love .. Claudia conti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Kari , so sad hearing about your lose, the life of Cyrus will be always precious for all the adsl families. Love to all of you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kari, I am so sad of your loss. My heart is with you and your family! We will always remember Cyrus! Love and hugs to you and your family! Condolences!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kari I'm so very sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful boy. Our thoughts are with you and your family. Much love
    Karen, Brian, Michael and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful, wonderful gift Cyrus is… I am so grateful to know him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mrs. Brown I remember you walking Summit hallways with such a beautiful smile pregnant of Cyrus! My deepest condolences to you and your family. I send you a big hug to you and your family! You are such an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful tribute this is! I am just heartbroken for you guys. I'm really at a loss for words. I'm so very sorry. I can't even imagine what this must be like for you. Our hearts and prayers are with you. PLEASE let us know if we can do anything. Even though I didn't know Cyrus personally, I know he was a strong, brave, and wonderful little boy and his life was a blessing. You guys were the best parents he ever could’ve had. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Kari, I am so sorry to hear that Cyrus is no longer with us, I know you have given him the best possible life and that he was always surrounded by love. Thank you for sharing your journey with us over the years, your deep compassion has always shone through in your writing. Your words gave Cyrus his voice and I know he will always be remembered. I'm sending you so much love right now and always.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely gift Cyrus was to all of us. Kari this is so beautifully written and so raw, and honest, and so grateful. I will always remember Cyrus laying on a blanket in the middle of Satsang just giggling away! In the Redwood City Eck Center he would roll around (sometimes needing to be re-guided to the middle) and smile from ear to ear. He was such a joyful part of class and I'm so grateful to have known him in that light! My love is with you, Kyle, Eliana, and Sorin. Thank you for sharing this post and his life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Kari, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Cyrus was unique and loved, and you write about his life and your family journey in such a lovely way. Much love and best wishes to you and Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing the soul journey of Cyrus and all the lovely people around him! May the blessings be! 💗

    ReplyDelete